Paul is a friend, mentor and literally one of my favourite people on earth! He’s a well-known Psychologist, Author and speaker and his book #raisingkids is one my favourite parenting tools.
Today Paul and I chat about shame: “the unpleasant self-conscious emotion typically associated with a negative evaluation of the self, withdrawal motivations, and feelings of distress, exposure, mistrust, powerlessness, and worthlessness.” We chat about what shame is and especially the art of shame in parenting, and bringing up kids who embrace vulnerability and embrace EQ!
In this episode we chat about:
- Mirroring in parenting on EQ (01:00)
- What shame is and how is develops (02:00)
- Shaming in parenting (03:00)
- Differentiating between intentional & unintentional shaming in parenting (05:05)
- Preventing parenting that encourages kids to ‘stay in the box’ and thus avoid vulnerability (08:08)
- Live example from Caitlyn’s life of avoiding shaming in parenting (unintentionally) (12:45)
- Psychology around shaming (and EQ) and avoidance of full freedom to act as they will (15:33)
- Live example from Psychologist, Paul, on powerful parenting when child experiences shame (16:33)
- Tips for parents on how to approach shame, avoid abusing it & empower kids to embrace vulnerbaility (18:15)
Find Paul’s parenting book HERE!!!
When I saw this post i thought i would feel shame for shaming my child or feel like a bad parent. But you handled this topic so well and with positivity and practical advice. Thank you!